Peanut Butter: Benefits, Types, and Nutrition Value
Peanut butter is the most renowned type of nut butter. It is present in almost all homes unless you are peanut allergic. This butter is extremely delicious to consume, and people love to eat peanut butter with multiple dishes. Peanut butter is brownish-golden in colour, and it may or may not contain grains of roasted peanuts.
You can find processed peanut butter in the market but making it at home is not a strenuous task. There are no complicated steps to follow to make homemade peanut butter. You must start by roasting the peanut and grinding them until a paste is formed. The liquid texture comes from the oils that are extracted by the peanuts. Peanut butter has a specific peanut aroma and salty taste, making it unique and identifiable.
The research shows that only 10% of the total mass of peanut butter is vegetable oils, syrups, sweeteners, etc., while the rest, 90%, are peanuts. This shows that peanut butter is extremely healthy because it contains abundant all the nutrients in peanuts.
Besides being tasty, many people consume peanut butter as a replacement for dairy products. All the healthy nutrients that are present in dairy items are there in peanut butter. It also contains all the essential nutrients present in milk. So, if you are lactose intolerant, you can fulfil your need for dairy products by consuming peanut butter.
Nutritional Value of Peanut Butter
Micronutrients of Peanut Butter
Types of Peanut Butter
Peanut butter has three different types that are explained below,
Natural Peanut Butter
This category caters to organic and natural peanut butter. Therefore, this type of peanut butter is the most nutritious. The major identifying feature is the floating oil on the surface of the peanut butter. Natural peanut oils have lesser density, so they come to the top of the jar. Hence, you must mix butter and oil well before eating natural peanut butter.
No-Stir Peanut Butter
Unlike natural peanut butter, there is no need to stir this type of peanut butter before use, as suggested by the name. This is because of the palm oil on the peanut butter. This keeps the natural oils and peanuts together and gives a firm texture.
According to the regulations, it is prohibited to name no-stir peanut butter solely as peanut butter without mentioning the presence of palm oil. This is done because of the rising awareness about the negative impacts of palm oil. Hence, many people avoid consuming it.
Conventional Peanut Butter
This is the processed form of peanut butter. The conventional type of peanut butter contains vegetable oil. The main motive behind adding vegetable oil to the peanut butter is to avoid spilling during the shipment process. the vegetable oil is boiled at high flame and then put under hydrogen gas to become semi-solid. This semi-solid vegetable oil is added to the peanut butter. Another benefit of adding hydrogenated vegetable oil to the peanut butter is the creamy texture that comes into being.
Health Benefits of Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is highly healthy and has the following benefits.
Aids Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance
Peanut butter is a great partner if you are losing weight. This is because of its deliciousness and nutritional value it has. Peanut butter controls the appetite because it gives the full feeling, reducing the urge to eat more. It also doubles the body’s metabolism because it does not contain heavy nutrients. Moreover, peanut butter gives energy because of its high protein content, keeping you fresh even on lesser meal portions—20% of the total energy content of peanut butter results from proteins and healthy fats. Therefore, peanut butter is a good option while losing weight because it can serve as a whole meal.
Protection Against Gallbladder Stones
Stone formation in the gallbladder is common because of the impurities entering the body. Peanut butter does not contain any extra preservatives or chemicals, which does not give birth to gallbladder stones and protects you from this ailment.
Good for Bodybuilders
If you are a bodybuilder, peanut butter is the superior snack. The main reason is that peanut butter contains low calories and high proteins, which greatly benefit bodybuilders. Therefore, peanut butter fulfils their protein need by keeping them in shape.
Bones require calcium to become stronger and good blood circulation for healthy tissues. Peanut butter caters to both needs because it contains abundant calcium and iron. Calcium is stored in bones, while iron ensures blood circulation through the tissues.